Emissions Trading & Offsets
SEI conducts research on the design and implications of market mechanisms to address regional, national, and international greenhouse gas emissions, from the distribution of emissions allowances in emissions trading systems to the administration of emission offset programs. For over a decade, we have provided innovative and influential analyses of market instruments. We have written on the efficiency and environmental effectiveness of existing and proposed emissions crediting mechanisms, and helped to develop methodologies for assessing emission reductions.
Current and recent SEI research activities include:
- Analysis of the implications of domestic and international offsets on proposed US cap-and-trade programs
- Support to the design of cap-and-trade system under Western Climate Initiative
- Establishment of the CORE website that provides an up-to-date analysis and synthesis of the world’s most influential offset programs and activities.
- Evaluation of industrial GHG benchmarking as a tool for addressing trade and competitiveness concerns, and identifying and promoting best practices
- Road-testing GHG offset protocols for several project sectors